On the finish of 2020, The New York Occasions revealed a narrative entitled “74 of Our Favourite Details for 2020,” which contained 74 of probably the most attention-grabbing, hanging, or pleasant information that the editors present in articles revealed by the newspaper in that yr.
I discovered this text extremely entertaining and academic so I believed to do an identical one utilizing enjoyable information mined from a yr’s value of posts on Quill & Pad.
Since Quill & Pad additionally publishes a weekly spirits column written by Ken Gargett along with protecting the world of watches, among the funn(i)est information I discovered concern wine, champagne, and liquor.
These are in no specific order, simply random information I discovered attention-grabbing, entertaining, and/or instructional in 2021. I do hope you get pleasure from.
1. Scientists nonetheless don’t technically know precisely what gravity is, solely what it does as Joshua Munchow reported in Vianney Halter Deep House Resonance Triple-Axis Tourbillon: Even Gravity Received’t Carry It Down!
2. The makers of the twenty-fifth James Bond movie No Time to Die spent £55,000 on 8,400 gallons of Coca-Cola to make a set stickier: it appears that evidently they had been having hassle with a motorcycle scene wherein the cobblestones had been too slippery when Bond actor Daniel Craig had the thought of soaking the cobblestones on which the stunt motorcycle was to land with Coke, making them a lot stickier. Learn the whole story by Ken Gargett in Shaken Not Stirred: The Ingesting Habits Of 007 James Bond (And Why They Purchased 8,400 Gallons Of Coca-Cola For ‘No Time To Die’).
3. The phrase “Stella” as it’s utilized in watch jargon at present originated in Rolex’s Nineteen Seventies advertising supplies. It almost definitely refers back to the maker of the rich-colored lacquers used on the dials (and doesn’t consult with both a girl or stars) as GaryG explains in Why I Purchased It: Rolex Stella-Impressed Oyster Perpetual 41 With Turquoise Blue Dial.
4. Rye could be Canadian or American. And in Canada, “rye” doesn’t legally must have a lot as a grain of rye in it as Ken Gargett reviews in Alberta Premium Cask Energy Rye: World’s Finest Whisky Of The 12 months 2021, However Opinions Are Divided.
5. Patek Philippe produces almost 62,000 timepieces per yr, broadly categorized within the model’s present assortment as easy watches, helpful issues, grand issues, casually elegant watches, women’ watches, and jewellery watches, writes Nancy Olson in Patek Philippe Exhibits Off Its Uncommon Handcrafts.
6. Madame Elisabeth Bollinger level clean refused to permit Bollinger to make a rosé, believing that rosé champagne was related to Paris’ “deeply suspect maisons closes” and “match just for girls with the worst kind of fame.” Her group needed to anticipate her passing earlier than the world noticed a Bollinger Rosé relates Ken Gargett in Louis Roederer Cristal 2013 And Cristal Rosé 2012: As Good As Champagne Will get.
7. Ken Gargett writes in Mumm RSRV R. Lalou 2006 Champagne: A Revelation (With Or With out Usain Bolt) that sprinter Usain Bolt was appointed CEO at Mumm – with CEO standing for “Chief Leisure Officer.”
8. Growers could be thought of the “impartial watchmakers” of Champagne as Ken Gargett made clear in Ulysse Collin: Grower Champagnes With Severe Magnificence.