That is SUPERLATIVE: A Podcast about watches, the folks behind them, and the worlds that encourage them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch Founder Ariel Adams is joined by Charles Tian the Founding father of WatchCharts. To kick off the present, Ariel asks Charles about his data-based firm that tracks the open-market costs for watches and the way it caters particularly to particular person collectors and fanatics, relatively than being primarily meant for sellers and different firms. Charles and Ariel then talk about the completely different motives that individuals have for promoting watches, the idea of worth retention, and what number of real fanatics sometimes promote the timepieces they aren’t carrying in order that they will unlock funds to finally purchase and expertise extra watches. From there, Ariel and Charles talk about the validity of market costs when knowledge is restricted and whether or not or not the “market worth” of sure fashions may primarily be thought of fantasy, earlier than diving into a number of the particulars about WatchCharts itself, comparable to the place it will get its knowledge, how the corporate ensures knowledge integrity, and some ways in which folks can be taught to establish dependable and high-quality knowledge for themselves.
Ariel then asks Charles if he notices a distinction within the pricing knowledge from massive public sale homes in comparison with the info from the remainder of the secondary market, and whether or not or not there have been any particular challenges sourcing knowledge or events upset about it being revealed. The 2 then discuss concerning the current report that WatchCharts created with Morgan Stanley that covers secondary market costs inside the luxurious watch trade, earlier than stepping into the main points of the current contraction in secondary market costs and whether or not or not it ought to be a shock given how the trade had simply skilled a number of years of end-over-end development. Ariel and Charles then talk about how various platforms like WatchCharts can usually function a greater strategy to introduce folks to new watches, in comparison with conventional sources comparable to Instagram, which regularly solely present folks the preferred varieties of manufacturers and fashions. From there, the dialog shifts to a number of the obstacles precisely measuring engagement, earlier than the 2 shut out the present by speaking concerning the rising overlap and battle of curiosity between media and promoting, and the way better entry to data leads to extra educated customers, that are important to the long-term success of any trade.
Keep up-to-date with Charles and WatchCharts:
- 00:53 — What’s WatchCharts, and the way does it cater particularly to fanatics?
- 07:40 — The distinction between promoting a look ahead to revenue and promoting a watch with the intention to purchase and expertise extra watches.
- 12:48 — Is the market worth of a watch primarily a fantasy?
- 20:06 — The place does WatchCharts get its knowledge?
- 21:47 — How does WatchCharts guarantee knowledge integrity and the way can folks be taught to establish high quality knowledge for themselves?
- 24:22 — Why costs from massive public sale homes usually are usually increased than the typical market worth noticed inside the trade.
- 27:39 — Have any folks been upset about having pricing knowledge revealed or have there been any sudden challenges getting knowledge itself?
- 34:37 — Working with Morgan Stanley to create a report on secondary market costs inside the luxurious watch trade.
- 38:23 — The current contraction in secondary market costs.
- 46:45 — How platforms like WatchCharts can introduce folks to new manufacturers and assist them uncover new fashions.
- 52:53 — Precisely measuring engagement and the function of promoting inside the watch trade.
- 56:27 — The rising overlap and the ensuing battle of curiosity between media and gross sales inside the trade.
We’d love to listen to from you with suggestions or recommendations for future present subjects or visitors. Promoting alternatives are additionally obtainable. Remark or contact [email protected].
Leave a Reply