That is SUPERLATIVE: A Podcast about watches, the individuals behind them, and the worlds that encourage them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch Founder Ariel Adams sits down with me, Ripley Sellers, who is without doubt one of the latest members of the editorial workforce right here at aBlogtoWatch. On the time we recorded this episode, I had solely been working with the crew for just a few weeks, and recording this podcast was the one longest dialog that I had ever had with Ariel (clearly, that has since modified), which means that you’re going to get to know me by way of the very same dialog that he did. To begin the present, Ariel asks me about my ideas on the intersection of watches and character inside the higher realm of watch-related media, together with how I bought began working on this distinctive business, within the first place. After discussing my origin story and the surprisingly restricted variety of actually pleasant jobs that exist inside the higher watch business, Ariel and I dig into the idea of watches as a pastime, the continued reluctance to label it as such, and why merely simply calling it a pastime would make life simpler for everybody.
After briefly discussing just a few of the issues that the US can be taught from Switzerland in relation to watchmaking, Ariel and I focus on the position of social media in modern-day watch accumulating, and why we each suppose that leaping headfirst into Instagram’s algorithm might not be finest for brand new collectors who’re nonetheless growing their very own tastes and preferences. After debating whether or not or not new collectors ought to even like Rolex, together with the higher psychology of retail denial, Ariel and I then get into among the causes individuals really wish to personal Rolex watches, within the first place, together with the rise in watch-related crime and whether or not or not I personally suppose it would have any sort of long-term affect on how individuals work together with watch accumulating as a pastime. To shut out the present, Ariel asks me about why I wished to work at aBlogtoWatch and what I hope to perform in my position right here going ahead, which then spirals right into a dialog about novel supplies in watchmaking and the way we have to at all times ask ourselves, “Is it simply totally different or is it really higher?”
Keep up-to-date with Ripley and his work at aBlogtoWatch:
- 00:49 — The intersection of watches and character inside the higher contest of watch-related media.
- 05:46 — How Ripley first bought into the world of watches.
- 10:59 — Jobs inside the watch business and the restricted variety of pleasant roles that exist.
- 14:18 — The idea of watches as a pastime and why formally recognizing it as such would make life simpler for everybody.
- 19:03 — The mindsets of the individuals behind the businesses who promote luxurious watches and the misunderstandings that may come up between them and the individuals who really purchase their merchandise
- 27:17 — What the US can be taught from the Swiss in relation to watchmaking.
- 30:01 — The position of social media in modern-day watch accumulating, and why Ariel and Ripley each suppose that it might not be finest for brand new collectors.
- 35:49 — Ought to new collectors like Rolex?
- 41:58 — The psychology of Rolex denial and why individuals really wish to personal Rolex watches.
- 48:02 — Watch-related crime and whether or not or not it would change how individuals work together with timepieces.
- 53:27 — Why Ripley wished to work at aBlogtoWatch, and what he hopes to perform there sooner or later.
- 58:10 — Novel supplies in watching and the way we should always at all times ask ourselves, “is it totally different or is it higher?”
Leave a Reply